As a continuation of my previous post on the intro to Young Living’s Premium Starter Kit, I thought I’d do a little follow-up post on the various uses for each oil that comes as part of the Everyday Oils collection inside of your kit.
I have always been very sensitive to smell. I can think of many times where I can recall exactly how a specific place or person smelled and how it impacted that particular experience. I have strong emotions tied in with my sense of smell as well, so for this reason, diffusing oils is one of the most powerful ways for me to use them. If I am feeling anxious, I like to diffuse some Peace & Calming. If I can’t sleep because I’ve got too much on my mind, Lavender always does the trick. If I’m needing an extra boost of confidence, Frankincense or Valor. If I’m just wanting a fresh and happy scent, Purification, Joy, Lemon, Peppermint or any combination of these smell great! These genuinely work and enhance my mood in a big way…and many of my go-to favourite oils are part of this kit!
There are more way to use them than just diffusing as well:
– They are an amazing, natural addition to any health and beauty products that you may make (Pinterest has TONS of ideas and recipes!).
– You could wear them as a perfume and could even make your own blends to create a signature scent!
– Make yummy scented, non-toxic playdough!
– Use them to enhance the flavours in cooking.*
– Use them topically to help heal burns, soothe skin irritation and ease aches and pains.
Those are just some general uses. I’ve compiled a list below of each individual oil in the kit and some specific suggestions on how to use them! I know that there are many more ways that people use them so if you have any other suggestions, please share them in the comments!
– Deodorize and neutralize the air (diffuse or add to a spray bottle with water)
– Create a chemical-free bug repellent by diluting with a carrier oil and applying to skin before going outdoors.
– Apply 1-2 drops to a clean rag or paper towel and place inside smelly shoes, gym bags, hockey skates etc. to help deodorize.
– Add to carrier oil and apply topically to help soothe rashes and bug bites.
– Diffuse 8-9 drops before bed time to help relax and promote sleep.
– Apply diluted to temples and neck to help de-stress.
– Add 5 drops to 1 cup of Epsom Salt and add to a warm bath to promote relaxation.
– Rub 2-4 drops on your feet to help with feelings of anxiety.
– Apply to inside of wrists as perfume and inhale for a quick boost of confidence.
– Diffuse to help improve focus and confidence.
– Dilute with carrier oil and apply to bruises to help speed up healing.
Peace and Calming (one of my personal favourites!)
– Diffuse to promote feelings of calm and relaxation. Excellent for meditation.
– Diffuse before bed for help with sleep.
– Apply like perfume on the inside of wrists. I like to re-apply throughout the day and smell it regularly if I’m feeling anxious or angry.
– Dilute and use as a relaxing massage oil. Helps soothe muscle aches.
– Apply diluted to lower stomach/pelvic region to help with cramps.
– Apply one drop to temples to help with headaches.
– This clean, minty scent is a great addition to home made lotions!
This oil blend has an interesting story about how it came to be and how it earned it’s name. It was formulated based on the legend of four thieves in France who used to cover themselves in cloves, rosemary, and other aromatics while robbing plague victims. As the story goes, these thieves, who remained protected from the plague, were offered a lesser sentence if they would divulge their secret recipe.
– Dilute and apply topically to the bottoms of feet to ward off colds and flus.
– Dilute 1 drop in approx. 1 tablespoon of water and gargle to help relieve a sore throat.
– Add 1 drop to 1 tablespoon of honey to help soothe a sore throat.*
– Add 2-3 drops to a clean cloth or rag and use in place of a dryer sheet to freshen laundry.
– Add 1 drop to 1 tablespoon of coconut oil for oil pulling.
– Makes a great addition to homemade soaps.
– Diffuse to help with congestion and to help keep the air germ free.
– To me this blend has something very Christmassy about it so it would be an awesome one to diffuse through out the holiday season, just to create a nice ambiance!
– Diffuse to freshen the air and uplift the mood.
– A great addition to many recipes that require lemon flavour.*
– A great, uplifting oil to diffuse with blends like Joy and Purification.
– A great addition to home made cleaning products.
Frankincense (another huge favourite!)
– A beautiful, earthy scent that is perfect to diffuse during yoga and meditation.
– An excellent addition to home made skin lotions as Frankincense is known to help with age/sun spots, acne, blemishes and wrinkles.
– This is another oil I like to wear like perfume and re-apply throughout the day and smell when I need a quick pick-me-up. I find this scent to be so relaxing and grounding.
– A great oil to diffuse to keep spirits high and create feelings of happiness.
– A great addition to home made soaps, deodorants and lotions.
– A great oil to wear as a perfume.
– Add 5 drops to 1 cup of Epsom salts for a nice, uplifting bath.
Lavender (my absolute, all-time favourite oil ever!)
I find Young Living’s lavender to be the absolute most wonderful lavender oil I have ever purchased – and I have tried a lot of brands! The scent is so potent and pure and like all of these oils, a little goes a long way. Nothing relaxes me the way this does. It’s feminine and beautiful and just makes me feel so happy, relaxed and positive. If you are anything like me, this will be the first oil you run out of and you’ll be ordering more in no time!
– Add 5 drops to 1 cup of Epsom salts for a relaxing, blissful bath.
– Makes a great addition to home made soaps, lotions and face masks.
– Great oil to wear as a perfume.
– Add one drop to your mascara tube for longer lashes (I have not yet tested this personally, but I hear the results are pretty great!)
– Diffuse at night to help promote sleep and relaxation.
– A beautiful addition to massage oil for a relaxing massage.
– Apply to temples and neck to help soothe headaches and tension.
– A great addition to many recipes (ie. cookies, brownies)*
– A great addition to scrubs and lotions.
– Diffuse for help with nausea.
– This is another oil that I think would really smell beautiful to diffuse around the holiday season and add to the Christmassy ambiance!
And there you have it, folks! I hope that this gives you some ideas on how to use these oils from the Young Living Premium Starter Kit! As I said, I know that there are many, many more ways out there so I encourage you to hop on Pinterest and check them out (you can follow me here!). If you are anything like me, I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised at how many different ways you can use these oils in your daily life!
If you are interested in purchasing your own kit, you can sign up here! If you are interested in learning more about the Young Living Premium starter kit, you can find out more by reading this post. Please feel free to contact me today with any questions or for help signing up and placing your order.
Danielle Bernier, Young Living Independent Distributor in Ottawa :: Sponsor ID/enroller ID #2405562
* – Ingesting essential oils seems to be a somewhat controversial topic. I have read about many people who do and they see amazing results for everything from back pain to weight loss to anxiety. I have every bit of confidence in the quality and purity of this particular brand of oils and as such, I am comfortable using them in very small doses for recipes and other remedies. At this time, however, I have chosen not to ingest them in large quantities or in capsule format. This is a personal decision and one that only you can make for yourself. I encourage you to read more on this topic and make an informed decision.